This article outlines how to determine compatibility, download, install, uninstall, use, and troubleshoot SendThisFile’s Outlook 2010 Plug-In.
The plugin is compatible with the following software:
- Operating System: Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit
- Microsoft Office 2010 32-bit and 64-bit. (Note: 64-bit requires registry update)
Download the installation file
Sign-in to your account and go to the Send Files Page. In the navigation at the top of the page you will find ‘Outlook Plugin’, click this navigation element to load the download page. Choose your desired Outlook version and click download.
Installing the SendThisFile Outlook 2010 Plug-In and Transfer Manager
- Expand the ZIP file (right click and click ‘Expand’)
- Double click the Setup file.
- If necessary, the installer will update system files. This may require a reboot upon completion.
- After the install has finished, open Outlook 2010.
- The following dialog will open:
- Click “Install”
- After completed, close Outlook 2010.
- Start Outlook 2010.
If you are running the 64-bit version of Outlook 2010 or Office you will next need to download and run an additional file.
Follow these steps to determine if you have the 64-bit version of Outlook 2010
- Start Outlook
- Click on File, then click on Help.
You should see the following:
Using the Outlook 2010 Plug-In
- Initial Configuration
- In the Status Group
- In the Preferences Group
- Ensure “Use SendThisFile Secure Transfer” is checked if you want to use SendThisFile to transfer files
- Set the minimum attachment size that will utilize the Transfer Manager. This is amount will be for the total size of all attachments
- Set the Default account that will be used to temporarily hold the emails while the files are being uploaded to the SendThisFile servers. DO NOT SELECT YOUR IMAP account, instead use an account with a local data file like those used for POP email, Exchange, or “Outlook Data File”.
- Sending Emails
- If an email has a total attachment size that exceeds the minimum size limit, you will be prompted with the following dialog:
- Select which template to use, whether you want a download receipt, and if you want it to remember your preferences for this session.
- Click OK and the message will begin transmitting.
- Using the SendThisFile Transfer Manager
Uninstalling the Outlook 2010 Plug-In
- Close Outlook 2010.
- From Start Menu, Select “SendThisFile->Uninstall Outlook AddIn and Transfer Manager“.
- Click though prompts until uninstall has completed.
- Navigate to the Control Panel->Add or Remove Programs (or Programs and Features).
- Select the “SendThisFile” program and click the “Remove” button.
- Open Outlook 2010. The “SendThisFile” tab should no longer be visible.
This occurs because Outlook 2010 has a new default attachment size of 20 megabytes. Instructions to remedy this are located at:
Outlook removes attachments and replaces with message: “Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachments”
Remedies are located at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829982